Tutor (Writing Center)
Position Title: Tutor (Writing Center)
Department: Library & Instructional Support Office (LIN)
Division: Library & Instructional Support Services (LIB)
Type: Part-Time (up to 20 hours a week)
Employee Status: N/A
Reports to: Manager of Learning Supports
Supervision Exercised: None
Tutors in the Writing Center work one-on-one with student writers across the curriculum, helping students with comprehension of assignment expectations; development of skills in rhetoric, grammar, and mechanics; paper organization; execution of formal writing styles; and basic research skills. Online review of submitted papers is also required when time permits, and online submissions are available through Upswing. Tutors may be assigned other tasks of invention and editing of handouts, guides, etc., or be asked to assist with promotion of the Writing Center on campus through classroom visits or participation in tutoring events in conjunction with the library.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities listed below. Omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
- Tutor/coach students in assignment comprehension and an array of writing skills.
- Tutor/coach students in basic computer skills as needed.
- Facilitate learning to assist students in becoming successful, independent learners and sufficient writers.
- Maintain ethical standards while providing substantial student feedback on writing assignments.
- Prepare for and tutor individual or small groups of students in writing across the curriculum according to specific student needs and requests, in-person and/or online.
- Conduct guest workshops, mini-lessons, or review sessions for specific instructors at the instructor’s request.
- Use Upswing to review and evaluate submitted student writing assignments in a timely fashion.
- Communicate with office and coordinator, keep efficient records of appointments, and submit session reports to the coordinator and instructor.
- Develop supplemental instructional materials including but not limited to handouts, study guides, tip sheets, and quizzes for student reference and instructor classroom use.
- Perform light in-center office duties as needed.
- Provide regular in-person and/or online availability for student sessions and assignment review, and possibly increase online availability during high-volume times in the semester.
- Exercise tact and courtesy, and consistently demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective instructional relationships.
- Show tolerance and flexibility in dealing with persons from disadvantaged social, economic and educational backgrounds.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- A Bachelor’s degree in English or a related field is required. A Master’s degree is desirable.
- Experience in English instruction and/or coursework in classroom pedagogy is preferred.
- Experience teaching ESL and/or instructing diverse learners is desirable. Coursework in the field of adult education is preferred as well.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse students, faculty, and staff is necessary.
- Proficiency in basic computer skills and willingness to adapt to new technology is necessary.
Rock Valley College offers Complimentary use of the Fitness Center for employee.
Rock Valley College values diversity and is committed to fostering an inclusive, diverse and respectful environment, as we believe that diversity in our organization encourages a rich and creative environment. We are actively engaged in building a more diverse organization and encourage all qualified applicants to apply today. We are also committed to providing accommodation for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodations, please contact our Human Resources Department at (815) 921-4760. Check out Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Wellness, Benefits, job openings, and more at Rock Valley College!