Audiovisual Systems Design Engineer
Audiovisual Systems Design Engineer
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
The Education Support Services (ESS) team provides day-to-day operations for all multimedia services on the FAS campus in classrooms and event spaces. The Audiovisual Systems Design Engineer is responsible for the design, implementation, maintenance, service, and repair of audiovisual systems within the Education Support Services’ (ESS) portfolio of supported audiovisual spaces.
Job Specific Responsibilities
- Working closely with the Audiovisual Project Manager, attends needs analysis meetings;
- Creates and manages basis of design narratives and scope of work documents related to audiovisual system design and implementation projects;
- Designs audiovisual systems and associated infrastructure;
- Drafts audiovisual design documents using AutoCAD
- Manages and supervises a database of audiovisual system components;
- Instructs faculty, staff, and student users in the operation of audiovisual systems;
- Performs technical support or other related job duties, as required.
- Minimum of two years’ post-secondary education or relevant work experience
Additional Qualifications and Skills
The following Additional Qualifications are strongly preferred. If you meet some, but not all, you are still encouraged to apply; we value employees with a willingness to learn.
- At least 3 years professional experience with instructional media technology and audiovisual systems preferred;
- College background in related multimedia, audiovisual or technology desirable;
- Experience developing audiovisual engineering documentation using AutoCAD;
- Experience with audiovisual configuration, programming, and support tools;
- Knowledge of a wide range of computer software and operating systems preferable;
- Fundamental knowledge of IT networking highly desired;
- Dependable with the ability to work swiftly in a deadline sensitive environment to serve a range of clients in a professional and respectful manner;
- Ability to work with a range of constituents and to develop solutions to service problems in a client-friendly manner.
Certificates and Licenses
- Completion of Harvard IT Academy specified foundational courses (or external equivalent) preferred
- Avixa CTS-D certification highly desired
- Crestron DMC-E certification highly desired
- Sitting using near vision use for reading and computer use for extended periods
- Lifting 50 lbs.
- Work is performed in an office setting
The health of our workforce is a priority for Harvard University. With that in mind, we strongly encourage all employees to be up-to-date on CDC-recommended vaccines.
We regret that we are unable to provide visa sponsorship for this position.
All formal offers will be made by FAS Human Resources.
Work Format Details
Work is performed in an office setting; this position will be based in Cambridge, MA and there is an expectation of two workdays per week on campus.
Education Support Services (ESS) provides world-class audiovisual and instructional support, event and media production, training, and consulting services to faculty, staff, and students in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS). The team supports the school’s mission by delivering premium technology offerings that enhance and creatively advance the teaching & learning environment. ESS is comprised of six service groups: Teaching & Learning Support, Design & Engineering, Event & Media Production, Language Center, Assistive Technology Services, and Piano Technical Services.
We invite you to visit Harvard’s Total Rewards website to learn more about our outstanding benefits package, which may include:
- Paid Time Off: 3-4 weeks of accrued vacation time per year (3 weeks for support staff and 4 weeks for administrative/professional staff), 12 accrued sick days per year, 12.5 holidays plus a Winter Recess in December/January, 3 personal days per year (prorated based on date of hire), and up to 12 weeks of paid leave for new parents who are primary care givers.
- Health and Welfare: Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits, disability and life insurance programs, along with voluntary benefits. Most coverage begins as of your start date.
- Work/Life and Wellness: Child and elder/adult care resources including on campus childcare centers, Employee Assistance Program, and wellness programs related to stress management, nutrition, meditation, and more.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with contributions from 5% to 15% of eligible compensation, based on age and earnings with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive program including $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and reduced tuition through other participating Harvard graduate schools.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Program that provides 75% to 90% reimbursement up to $5,250 per calendar year for eligible courses taken at other accredited institutions.
- Professional Development: Programs and classes at little or no cost, including through the Harvard Center for Workplace Development and LinkedIn Learning.
- Commuting and Transportation: Various commuter options handled through the Parking Office, including discounted parking, half-priced public transportation passes and pre-tax transit passes, biking benefits, and more.
- Harvard Facilities Access, Discounts and Perks: Access to Harvard athletic and fitness facilities, libraries, campus events, credit union, and more, as well as discounts to various types of services (legal, financial, etc.) and cultural and leisure activities throughout metro-Boston.
Department Office Location
USA - MA - Cambridge
I1957P IT Multimedia Prof III
Hybrid (partially on-site, partially remote)
Administration and Finance
Education Support Services
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Harvard University views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a campus culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
LinkedIn Recruiter Tag (for internal use only)